Friday, December 21, 2012

Inspirations for designing tutorial

I am pretty much a "loner" or a very quiet "observer" as I like to call it myself :)
I don't like to call myself a "designer", I will leave that decision up to you... 
Love to be by myself, mostly, especially when I feel creative inspiration that day...
On top of that, I have an amazing, loving husband that supports me and encourages me daily.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
I first like to say that I dislike people that think that sharing "information" on how to design in our "trade" is like giving away a TOP SECRET document.
Well, I believe in sharing and these days the internet makes it possible for everyone to just "google" about everything you would like to know so why not share?
So I don't mind sharing my "top secrets" it's a free world so if you still have questions just ask me!
 
Some times I just like to sit somewhere and observe...soon enough my head starts working and the first thing that happens is that I picture the sketch of my new design in my head.
Second I draw out my little sketch book and sketch it out roughly. I might use or I might not. If I forgot my sketch book...well, I write down some notes in my phone.
 
Some times I just start thinking about all the places/countries I visited throughout the years and try to picture what first pops up as a memory. Than I try to write that down, just words no sketch. At home I will sit down and read through my notes and start translating them into colors or sketch some designs. Some will be executed...some won't...some will sit for a while and some sit for years...
 
Some times it's one of my friends/customers that tells me something they need/want and ask me to translate it into a design.
 
Some times I just take pictures from wherever I am or whatever I like.
 
In the end, there are a lot of ways to get inspired, in my opinion.
Just a package of a product or color combo's used in advertising, magazines, books...anything, you just have to "train" yourself to look different at things. It works for me...
I use these "inspiration" techniques for my knitting, crochet designs, my paintings and sewing.
 
Today, I have no idea what happened or inspired me but I drew up 22 sketches of designs up...
The only thing I can think of is that I "lost" the stress from the last few months since in the past, I worked way too much, had to orchestrated our move over 150 miles and unpack/settle in our new place. Or as I like to call it "life happened" :)
 
The sketches I drew up today are probably going to be a combo of crochet, knitting and/or sewing. I just have to work on each one and tackle all the details.
I start with determine the size, material choices, base colors/background colors, subject and finally detailing/accents. It's a process that takes a while, some times days/weeks/months/years. I have a bunch of sketches that just need detailing or a sample that I need to finish but I am married too LOL. There are only so many hours in a day :)
 
One important thing I learned while starting to design is:
"I can't "force" myself in being creative...I need to let "it" just happen"
"open yourself up to new ideas"
"think outside the box"
"relax"
 
Maybe this little "tutorial" on how I get to my final designs helps you...good luck!!!
Need help/second opinion or....? Just ask...
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Remember for those who don't know...
I wasn't born here so...
I will make grammar mistakes or misspell words or..., I don't think I need to apologize for them, since English isn't my first/native language. Just picture yourself living in a foreign country...you will never be a native speaker :)
thank you for understanding and just know: I do my very best to keep them to a minimum!!! :)
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Reading this brought a smile to my face. I like the way you describe finding inspiration as an untortured process where you reach into yourself, let yourself be and then begin drawing or sketching or writing. You make it seem like creation just flows in and out of you.

    ReplyDelete