Saturday, June 22, 2013

Going frugal: powdered laundry soap

Starting to live up to my budgets so the first big thing I wanted to tackle was the laundry detergent bill.

So I bought:

Zote : laundry bar of soap (0.99 ct at Smart & Final)
Borax ($5.49 at Ralph's)
Washing Soda ($3.99 at Ralph's)

You grate the whole bar of laundry soap (14 oz). I just used my cheese grater to to do but make sure you wash it thoroughly afterwards. Than add 1 3/4 cup of Borax and 1 3/4 cup of Washing soda in a container.
Mix these ingredients together very well and VOILA use 1/2 oz (approx. 2 tbs) per load of laundry.
Put the soap in when u turn on your washer, let it fill up like a hand deep with water and add your laundry.

HE machine safe!! 
Note: it doesn't make any suds but your clothes will come out clean :)
I use it for colored, whites etc, no problem with fading.

This will lasts you for a long time and it totally fits in my budget :)

Questions? Let me know by leaving a comment.

I will be posting more tips on household savings and cooking on a budget soon 

No comments:

Post a Comment